Whether you purchase flowers yourself or receive a surprise delivery, there are things you can do to increase their life. Most flowers last between 7 to 10 days, depending on the level of care. Care instructions will differ depending on the arrangement, so follow the directions below for specifics. Here are some basic pointers to get you started.
- Be aware of where you place your arrangement; factors such as sunlight, heat and drafts can affect the life of your flowers.
- Make sure your flowers have a daily supply of water. This means topping them up when the water gets low.
- Follow the care instructions below for your specific arrangement.
BOUQUETS AND POSIES
Here is the best way to prepare your bouquets and posies once you get them home1. When arranging your flowers choose a clean vase with fresh water. For shorter stemmed flowers use a shallower vase to give the arrangement structure.
- The vase should be tall enough to cover up to half of the stems.
- Remember, you can always trim the stems to make your flowers fit.
3. Fill the vase with fresh water and add flower food. For best results ensure the water is not ice cold. The water should cover 10 - 15cms of the stems.
- Stir the flower food for one minute before adding the flowers.
- Avoid metal containers as these neutralise the effects of the flower food.
5. With a sharp pair of scissors, cut 2 - 3cms from the stems, or, if you need to cut more, make the stems the correct length.
- Make sure you cut the stems at a 45 degree angle. This creates a larger surface area allowing the stem to absorb water more rapidly.
- Avoid cutting through nodes on the flower stems - these appear as almost 'knuckle' like sections on the stem length.
6. Before you place the flowers in the water, strip any foliage from the stems that would otherwise be in the water. Greenery such as this is a major contributor to bacteria in the water.
7. Place your flowers in the vase and create the perfect arrangement.
8. Display the flowers in a cool location away from drafts, direct sunlight, heaters, air conditioners, and fresh fruit.
9. Every 2 days add fresh water and flower food.
10. If scum develops on the inside of the vase, remove the flowers, clean the vase, and fill it with clean water.
11. Most importantly, remember to enjoy your flowers!
With Box/ceramic arrangements (Oasis) all you need to do is make sure there is enough water and nutrients to keep your plant happy.
- Check the arrangement daily to ensure the oasis is moist. If the oasis becomes dry it is less likely to take up water again, so be sure to keep an eye on it regularly.
- When topping up the water or remoistening the floral foam, add flower food to provide the flowers with much - needed nutrients.
- Keep flowers in a cool spot away from direct sunlight, heating or cooling vents, directly under ceiling fans, or on top of televisions or radiators.
VASES BURSTING WITH THIS SEASONS FRESHEST FLOWERSSending a posy or a bouquet is certainly a beautiful gesture but sometimes, as silly as it sounds, it can be difficult to find an ideal vase to display the flowers. At Grovedale Florist we have created a perfect collection of posies, bouquets and larger gift packages that are designed and delivered in their own quality glass vase. The lucky recipient can just simply enjoy their beauty, and top up the water when required. The arrangement is created within the vessel so that it is made in perfect proportions, and sits beautifully within the glass vase. As the flowers are arranged within the vase, they are hydrated from the moment they are arranged to the moment they are delivered. This contributes to the overall life of the bouquet, meaning longer lasting flowers for the recipient, better value for you!
OUR STANDARD DELIVERY
Monday to Friday Delivery (Excluding Public Holidays): Grovedale Florist & Gift Shop standard delivery fee is $14.95. Online orders placed BEFORE 2:00pm AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time) for business deliveries are guaranteed to arrive (anytime) by 5pm on the same day. Online orders placed BEFORE 2:00 pm AEST for residential deliveries are guaranteed to be delivered (anytime) by 7.00pm.
Saturday Deliveries: Our standard $14.95 flat delivery fee applies to Saturdays. Our fleet of drivers guarantee that orders placed online or by phone BEFORE 10.00 a.m. AEST on Saturday will be safely delivered by 5pm the same day.
Delivery on Sunday or Public Holidays: Sunday (except for Mother's Day) or Public Holiday deliveries are not available. Should you select Sunday or a Public Holiday for delivery, your order will automatically be delivered on the NEXT business day.
URGENT VIP DELIVERY SERVICE
When it's urgent, it's urgent. At Grovedale Florist & Gift Shop we get this. For Express VIP delivery that gets there by the time you need, ask about our Express VIP delivery option by contacting us directly.
Please note additional charges for urgent deliveries will apply. Give us a call 0352 441771 or email email@example.com to arrange a VIP service. We'll get things rolling super fast and meet that deadline.